Buffalo Gap, SD Firefighters were busy cleaning up Friday after a grassfire spread in Buffalo Gap Thursday.
Heath Lowry with the Custer County Sheriff's Office says a 61-year-old resident was burning rubbish when the fire got away from him.
The current dry conditions helped to fuel the flames, which burned through a hay yard and damaged a mobile home.
Fire officials say it took just about 20 minutes for the fire to spread more than 6 acres.
Incident Commander Dar Coy said, "The way our conditions are right now, if we don't get on it quick, then we're here for a week ... And it's what we learn in the fire service is it's usually better to ramp up early and send them home than it is to not have them when you need them."
Firefighters from 13 different departments battled the flames.
It sparked around 3 o'clock Thursday afternoon and crews stayed until about 7 p.m.
But, the Buffalo Gap Fire Department stayed overnight watching for hot spots.
Officials say this a stark reminder to practice fire safety - especially with humidity expected to drop to just 15 percent this weekend.
Coy said, "We need to remind everybody to be very careful right now because even today our humidity is very low and our temperatures are up. This is just an example of what a small fire can do - to all of a sudden it's a big deal."
Fortunately, there were no injuries reported.