STURGIS, S.D. (KEVN) - The City of Sturgis is distributing $125,745 of charity funds raised during the 2018 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally to various organizations.
Most of it – $89,575 – goes to Sturgis Rally Charities, a non-profit foundation that re-distributes donated funds to agencies in the Sturgis area.
Also receiving donations are:
- Sturgis/Meade County Senior Center - $1,000
- Sturgis Arts Council - - $797
- Sturgis Fire Department - $7,500
- Fire Station Lot - $7,500
- Police Reserve Program - $5,000
- Sturgis Ambulance - $7,500
- Wounded Warriors - $373
- Sturgis Animal Shelter - $2,500
- VFW of Deadwood - $2,000
- United Way (employee match) - $2,000
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Inc., which licenses various brands for the rally, raised most of the donations, $50,000. Donations also came from the City of Sturgis, sponsors Brown-Forman and Jack Daniel’s, Legendary 5K Run, Mayor’s Poker Tournament and Mayor’s ride.
Additionally, thousands of charitable dollars are raised by private organizations and businesses. This year, the Hamster’s USA organization was inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. During their 40-plus years of philanthropic efforts, the Hamster’s have raised $282,000 for LifeScape Children’s Care of Rapid City. These funds all stay local to support children with disabilities in Western South Dakota.