SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KOTA TV) - U.S. Attorney Ron Parsons urged the public to report any COVID-19 fraud or price gouging today by calling the National Center for Disaster Fraud hotline (1-866-720-5721).
Attorney General William Barr has directed U.S. attorneys to prioritize the investigation and prosecution of Coronavirus fraud schemes
Some examples of COVID-19 schemes include:
• Individuals and businesses selling fake cures or fake testing kits for COVID-19 online
and engaging in other forms of fraud.
• Phishing emails from entities posing as the World Health Organization or the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention.
• Malicious websites and apps that appear to share Coronavirus-related information to gain
and lock access to your devices until payment is received.
• Seeking donations fraudulently for illegitimate or non-existent charitable organizations.
• Medical providers obtaining patient information for COVID-19 testing and then using
that information to fraudulently bill for other tests and procedures.