Advertisement

North Dakota pipeline construction halted until court date

(KEVN)
Published: Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:34 AM MDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - The Morton County sheriff says developers of a $3.8 billion, four-state oil pipeline have agreed to halt construction of the project in southern North Dakota until a federal court hearing next week in Washington, D.C.

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is suing federal regulators for approving permits for the Dakota Access Pipeline that will move oil from North Dakota to Illinois. Tribal officials filed the lawsuit last month against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The tribe's request for a temporary injunction hearing is slated Wednesday.

Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier says the agreement to halt construction until the court date was reached by state and local officials with pipeline developer Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners.

The company did not immediately return telephone calls or emails seeking comment on Thursday.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

8/18/2016 10:19:03 AM (GMT -6:00)