House members remain divided on Flynn, White House investigation

By  | 

WASHINGTON (Gray DC) - The fallout after General Michael Flynn’s resignation as national security advisor continues. As the atmosphere remains turbulent on Capitol Hill, lawmakers say there is a lot of uncertainty as to what will happen next.

Congressman Kihuen (D-NV) says if the House wanted to investigate Hillary Clinton's emails, they now have to investigate the White House.

"He embarrassed the administration," said Congressman Bill Flores (R-TX).

An administration that, once again, finds itself steeped in controversy. General Flynn resigned from his post as national security advisor, leading to an avalanche of questions surrounding his, and the administration’s, relationship with Russia. Flores says he would be fine with a congressional investigation, but does not want to take away from other issues.

"I don’t want to do anything in terms of investigations or anything like that that would dilute our resources in dealing with those high profile issues," said Flores.

Issues, Flores says, like health care, tax reform, and national security. He says he wishes President Trump could focus on these other things.

"Having a person like General Flynn that would go off the reservation, that 10 percent has damaged his ability to carry out the other 90 percent of his job that’s going pretty well," said Flores.

While Flores is not calling for an investigation in the aftermath of Flynn's resignation, Democrats in the House and Senate are. They’re adamant that Congress needs to examine this matter right away.

"Just a few months ago you had the Chairman of the (House) Oversight Committee requesting to do an investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails," said Congressman Ruben Kihuen (D-NV). "This is a lot bigger than those emails."

Kihuen says he wants to know what role, if any, the president had in this situation, from the Flynn conversations to alleged Russian hacking during the election.

"This is not fake news Mr. President, this is real," said Kihuen. "This is a foreign government that is conspiring to undermine our democracy here in the United States of America."

Kihuen took to the House floor Thursday to demand an investigation. Neither he nor Flores knows whether one will actually take place.

Read the original version of this article at

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus