Garden hoses pose potential dangers in prolonged heat

By  | 

Folks are trying to cool down this summer, but the heat might be up in a place where you wouldn't expect it.

People often fill a kiddie pool up or run a sprinkler with water from a garden hose, but there are some precautions you can take before letting your kids or animals in the water.

Katrina Lim asks, "How do you think the water is before it cools down when it comes out of the hose?"

"Umm, 180 degrees? "McKensie Malone said, nine years old.

"Over 10!" Quinten Zaske said, 7 years old.

Experts say if the hose is exposed to prolonged sunlight, the water immediately rushing out of it can be 140 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, resulting in severe burns or in extreme cases, death.

"We're filling this container with water from a hose that's been sitting out in 90 plus degree weather all day, and right now the temperature of the water is almost 125 degrees Fahrenheit.

An adult exposed to water that hot can get second degree burns," Katrina Lim said.

"So if you are going to fill let's say a kiddie pool or allow kids to run through the sprinkler, you want to make sure that water has an opportunity to cool off and cycle through before you use it," Jim Bussell said, Public Information Officer, Rapid City Fire Department.

Bussell says during his time with the Rapid City Fire Department, he hasn't seen burns from hose water, but he has witnessed other summer-related injuries on the job.

"We see a lot of different injury patterns during the summertime related to summertime activities. Some of them are related to falls, some of them are heat-related illnesses so it's just this time of year it's good to remind people of all the different things to be careful of," Jim Bussell said.

Earlier this summer the Las Vegas Fire Department posted on Twitter about a nine-month-old from Arizona who was badly burned by water from a garden hose, suffering second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body.

The Rapid City Fire Department also wants to remind parents to be aware of scorching hot playground equipment.