Carbon Monoxide poisining increases in colder months

RAPID CITY, S.D. (KEVN) - Carbon monoxide poising is always an issue but when it's colder out, this becomes a bigger problem.

If you have a gas furnace, make sure it is well insulated cause if it isn't, it could kill you.

Unless you have a carbon monoxide detector inside your home, it is impossible to tell if your house is filling up with this deadly gas.

But there's several precautions you can follow.

Rapid City Fire Department public information officer Jim Bussell says “It's a bad idea to try and heat your home using a gas stove or range because it is not properly ventilated. Another thing that we encounter from time to time is people who have garages and during these cold months and these cold periods they try and warm their vehicle up in the garage, that carbon monoxide from the vehicle can actually get into the home, so if you're going to warm your vehicle up, it should be outside.”

Bussell says most of the carbon monoxide issues they are called out to, are in homes, so make sure you are keeping your family safe.