Severe high winds may cause power outages in Black Hills
Published: Jan. 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM MST
RAPID CITY, S.D. (KEVN) - Black Hills Energy customers may experience intermittent power outages due to high winds across the Black Hills.
Here are tips to stay safe during an unexpected outage:
- If your power goes out, see if your neighbors have power. If they do, check your home for blown fuses or a tripped circuit breaker.
- If your neighbors don’t have power or if you can’t locate the problem, contact us immediately by calling our emergency number at 1-800-890-5554.
- If you see damaged outdoor electric power equipment, please contact us at 1-800-890-5554.
- If you are outdoors, never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen powerline. Assume any downed power line is energized.
- During an outage, unplug the sensitive computer and electronic equipment or protect them with a high-quality surge protector.
- Leave a lamp, electric radio or your portable mobile computer/phone device on so you know when service is restored.
- For long power outages do not open your refrigerator or freezer more than necessary. Undisturbed food will remain frozen in most freezers for 12 to 48 hours.
- Do not use charcoal grills to heat your home or cook indoors. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
- If you use a portable generator, follow the manufacturer’s safety and operating guidelines. Be sure to operate the generator in a well-ventilated area. Never operate it indoors or in your garage. Again, dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
- Because carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and tasteless, have a carbon monoxide detector with fresh batteries installed to warn you of potentially dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Copyright 2021 KEVN. All rights reserved.