Advertisement

South Dakotan dead from methanol poisoning in hand sanitizer

Three people in South Dakota have been hospitalized after using this type of sanitizer, one has died.
The FDA is warning consumers the agency has seen a sharp increase in hand sanitizer products that are labeled to contain ethanol but have tested positive for methanol contamination.
The FDA is warning consumers the agency has seen a sharp increase in hand sanitizer products that are labeled to contain ethanol but have tested positive for methanol contamination.(AP Images)
Published: Jul. 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM MDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PIERRE, S.D. (KEVN) - South Dakota health officials are urging people to check their hand sanitizers after several hospitalizations in the state, including one death, were linked to sanitizers made with methanol.

State Epidemiologist Joshua Clayton issued the advisory Thursday morning during the state’s coronavirus briefing. He said three people in South Dakota have been hospitalized after using this type of sanitizer, and one person has died from it.

“All of them have been hospitalized after ingesting or drinking that hand sanitizer solution,” Clayton said.

This comes after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about several methanol-based hand sanitizers earlier this summer.

Clayton said if you have any hand sanitizer containing methanol, throw it away immediately.

MORE: FDA’s methanol hand sanitizer warning

Copyright 2020 KEVN. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News