Experts warn of caffeine dangers after South Carolina teen dies of overdose

By  | 

Rapid City, SD A caffeine overdose took the life of a South Carolina teen earlier this week.

Now experts are speaking out on the dangers of the drug.

This message is from Davis Cripe's father, after officials say the teen died from a caffeine-induced cardiac event.

They say Cripe consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, latte, and energy drink in the two hours leading up to his death.

Black Hills FOX reporter Robert Grant said "Experts recommend drinking no more than 400 milligrams of caffeine a day. A cup of coffee has about 100 milligrams. While an energy drink this size has closer to 140 milligrams."

Reports show the drug is the most widely consumed stimulant around the world.

But the caffeine craze can have negative effects like anxiety. It can even lead to a heart attack or stroke for those with high blood pressure.

Chase Merfeld, a registered dietitian, said "I always say the key to life is moderation. So if you're going to have your lattes and stuff, if you're going to go to go to those coffee shops to have those drinks, it's okay once in a while - but just don't do it every day."

Experts add children under the age of 12 should not have caffeine.

Those older than 12 should have no more than 100 milligrams.

Merfeld said "Parents should be aware of what their children are drinking. And if you do have those issues like cardiac issues like high blood pressure or if you have a family history of high blood pressure, maybe it's time to stop drinking those every day."

Energy drinks can also be high in sodium along with other ingredients.

Merfeld said "Energy drinks are full of sugar and calories. So in today's youth, we don't want them to have more sugar and calories."

And experts also recommend staying hydrated with water.

But say you don't need to skip your morning brew.

Merfeld said "Coffee is okay for people, you just don't want to over do it and have too much caffeine."