|Fire destroys Rapid Valley home|
|Thursday, 14 March 2013 12:36|
Firefighters had a major fight on their hands with a house fire in Rapid Valley Thursday morning. The call came in before 9:30 to the house on Shad Street in the Valley. Firefighters say they believe the fire started on the back deck of the house and spread to both floors of the interior of the home.
The lone occupant: the wife of a deployed Ellsworth airman, was able to get out safely. Firefighters say the blaze was intense when they arrived. Chief Tim Kobes says, "It was very intense. As you can notice behind the house, probably 50-75 feet away, the siding is totally melted on that house. That will tell you the amount of heat involved. There was a propane-fired charcoal grill on the deck. The 20-pound cylinder for that did bleve, exploded. And that added to the fire too." Kobes says they think the fire was human caused but says they don't believe it is suspicious. He says three cats died in the blaze. The Red Cross says it's providing the family of six with financial assistance, emotional support and community referrals.